Tuesday, October 27, 2015

First Baptist Musings

I had the opportunity to visit a worship service of a faith other than my own on Sunday.  This was part of an assignment for one of my classes.  I chose to attend the service of the "First Baptist Church of Provo" and I can't express how glad I am that I did :)

I worried, as many religious people do, that in visiting this other faith I would be criticized or questioned on my "peculiar" beliefs.
These people were some of the most God-loving, Christlike, caring individuals I have encountered outside my own faith.  I was immediately welcomed and many lay members engaged me in my conversations about their specific beliefs.  I enjoyed learning about this faith while keeping a calm conviction in what I had already decided I believed in a long time ago (my own Mormon beliefs).  This experience was one I will cherish.

Now why should you care?

The reality is, the world today is not open to much religious discussion and acceptance.  Our society has become a hypocrite in itself.  The majority pushes for equality of expression in all forms and yet religious freedoms are somehow acceptably squandered.  How is it that an eternal God has so quickly been deemed "old-fashioned"?  How is it that we can proclaim our love and acceptance for all kinds of people and then turn to criticize our neighbor's beliefs simply because they presumably cannot coexist with our own?  How is it that I can deem someone's practices to be out of line with what they believe when THEY are the ONLY person who has the right to interpret those beliefs they hold dear?  Before you jump to conclusions about someone's beliefs, ask them yourself!  Surprise, surprise: the internet is not always a credible source for ANY religion's doctrines ;)

Remember that, as stated in 2 Nephi 2:11, "it must needs be, that there is an opposition in all things". If all men were supposed to be forced to forgo their agency and give in to one mindset or faith, God could have easily made that happen.  Our religious differences make us who we are.  It is no man's right to take away another man's right.  Embrace the opposition of today--but let's not turn opposition into argument.

Ronald A. Rasband, a member of the LDS Quorum of the 12 Apostles, gave a beautiful devotional on the subject of religious freedom/equality a little over a month ago at Brigham Young University.  For further investigation, I strongly recommend you look up this talk.  The title is "Religious Freedom and Fairness for All".

If you expect the world to allow you to freely worship as you choose, you must allow the world to worship as it will.

No comments:

Post a Comment